Humble H2O is essential for optimal health and conception
Humble H2O for optimal health
If ever there were a magic potion for health and weight loss, water would be it. It is the body’s most non-negotiable nutrient.
Next to oxygen, pure water is the most vital factor to life. Our bodies are made up of around 75% water and every cell, organ and system requires water to function properly.
It plays an integral role in nearly every biological process in the body. We need it for so many functions from controlling our body’s thermostat for blood pressure regulation, helping distribute nutrients to every cell to taking out the trash.
Water is so crucial that we can’t live for more than a few days without it, making it an even more important nutrient than food. Without water, the blood thickens and the body’s enzymatic processes get bogged down. If you refrain from drinking water over a few days the blood gets so gluggy that the body’s inner workings come to a rapid stop. After that, odds of survival are grim.
While you never want to be in such a dire situation, it’s not uncommon for many typical health problems and diseases to erupt due to insufficient hydration. Headaches, irritability and constipation are just a few of the more obvious conditions that indicate dehydration where the body needs more H2O.
Some telltale signs of dehydration include:
– Little or no urine, or urine that is darker than usual
– Dry, sticky mouth
– Sleepiness or fatigue
– Extreme thirst
– Feeling dizzy or lightheaded
– No tears when crying
Here are some more reasons why you want to ensure you are drinking enough water:
– Water supports weight loss by naturally suppressing appetite and helping body metabolize stored fat
– It aids in detoxification, helping the kidneys and liver rid the body of excess waste
– Is a natural laxative, maintaining proper bowel function
– Is a natural diuretic, key to reducing fluid retention
– Prevents dehydration
– Helps to maintain proper muscle tone
– Helps to cushion joints
– Aids in immune support, helping the body resist sickness
Tips for staying hydrated:
– Keep a bottle of water with you during the day. Consider carrying a reusable or filtered aluminium water bottle and filling it from the tap rather than purchasing bottled water, which is expensive and creates plastic bottle waste.
– Add some fresh fruit, berries, herbs or even cucumber to give your water some flavour
– Drink water before, during and after exercise.
– Start and end your day with a glass of water.
– When you’re feeling hungry, drink water. The sensation of thirst is often confused with hunger. True hunger will not be satisfied by drinking water. Drinking water may also contribute to a healthy weight loss plan, as some research suggests drinking water will help you feel full.
– Drink on a schedule if you have trouble remembering to drink water. For example, drink water when you wake up; at breakfast, lunch and dinner; and when you go to bed. Or drink a small glass of water at the top of each hour.
– Drink water when you go to a restaurant. Not only does it keep you hydrated, but you’ll eat less too. Not to mention it’s also free!
Water is one of the most basic needs for our body; keeping it your body hydrated with fresh, clean water is one of the easiest and best things you can do for your health. Drink up!